Now Reading
BCI Profit Falls 6.6% in H1

BCI Profit Falls 6.6% in H1

Profits at Banco Comercial e de Investimentos (BCI), the largest bank in Mozambique, fell 6.6% in the first half to nearly €50 million euros, according to information from the institution consulted by Lusa today.

In the financial statements for the period from January 1 to June 30, 2023, BCI states that the bank’s net income fell to 3,453 million meticais (€49.4 million), compared with profits of 3,699 million meticais (€52.9 million) a year earlier, at the end of June 2022.

On 30 June last, BCI had total assets of almost 211.5 billion meticais (€3,026 million), namely 65 billion meticais (€930 million) in loans to customers, for a total liability of 185 .4 million meticais (€2,652 million), mainly customer funds (deposits) worth 156.6 billion meticais (€2,240 million).

Profits at Banco Comercial e de Investimentos had soared 55% at the end of last year, compared to 2021, to €113.3 million, according to the report and accounts, as previously reported by Lusa.

In the message contained in the first half of 2023 document, BCI’s management states that despite the “adverse scenario”, the bank maintained “market leadership”, reaching almost 2.2 million customers, “after having committed to improving the service, consolidating of the activity and in the generation of value for customers, society, the country and shareholders”.

It also highlights that BCI, with 2,712 employees and 211 branches across the country, “remains the largest bank operating in the Mozambican financial system”, in terms of business volume (credit and deposits) and assets, “having in 2022 its market shares amounted to 24.25% in credit, 25.41% in deposits and 23.68% in assets”.

According to the BCI’s 2022 report and accounts, the bank presented, at the end of 2022 a net result for the year of 8,078 million meticais (€113.3 million), an increase of 55.25% compared to profits of 5,203 million meticais (€72. 9 million) in 2021 and which also compares with 2,671 million meticais (€37.4 million) in 2020.

The 2022 performance is justified in the document with “extraordinary positive and negative effects”, referring to last year and previous years.

BCI has a share capital of 10 billion meticais (€140 million), in a shareholder structure led by Caixa Participações, of the Caixa Geral de Depósitos (CGD) group (51%), the Portuguese bank BPI (35 .67%), and directly by CGD (10.51%), among others.

Management decided to apply 30% of 2022 profits to legal reserves, equivalent to more than 2,423 million meticais (€34 million), distributing the remaining 70%, more than 5,654 million meticais (€79.3 million) in dividends to shareholders.

Lusa

SUBSCRIBE TO GET OUR NEWSLETTERS:

See Also

SUBSCRIBE TO GET OUR NEWSLETTERS:

Scroll To Top

We have detected that you are using AdBlock Plus or other adblocking software which is causing you to not be able to view 360 Mozambique in its entirety.

Please add www.360mozambique.com to your adblocker’s whitelist or disable it by refreshing afterwards so you can view the site.