Now Reading
Election Protests Stem From Years of Youth Frustration – Bishop

Election Protests Stem From Years of Youth Frustration – Bishop

The Catholic bishops of southern Africa warn that the post-election protests in Mozambique are ‘devoid’ of leadership on the ground and are the result of “years of frustration”, especially among young people.

The situation was analysed by the bishop responsible for the Social Action Department of the Southern African Catholic Bishops’ Conference (SACBC), João Rodrigues, bishop of the diocese of Tzaneen in South Africa, following a visit to Mozambique last week in which he met with Mozambican bishops.

“In both meetings it was realised that the protests are not simply a reaction to the recent manipulation of election results, but are motivated by years of frustration and neglect by the government in developing and meeting many needs of the communities,” said Bishop João Rodrigues, quoted by the Vatican.

“As well as the marginalisation, especially of young people, in various regions of Mozambique, who remain poor, jobless and unable to see a promising future for themselves,” he added, when summarising the conclusions of these meetings.

He said that the Catholic bishops are available to promote “dialogue” between the parties.

“The government doesn’t seem to be open to other political possibilities. It is for this reason that the Catholic bishops believe that steps must be taken for a constructive dialogue between all these different voices,” he said.

Against the backdrop of consecutive demonstrations across the country, for almost a month now, contesting the announced results of the October 9 general elections, which have degenerated into clashes with the police and violence, Bishop João Rodrigues warned: “The protests are not well organised and seem to be largely devoid of leadership on the ground.”

At least 25 people have died and another 26 have been shot in five days of demonstrations contesting the results of Mozambique’s general elections, according to an update from the Decide electoral platform, released today.

The deaths and shootings occurred between 13 and 17 November, in at least five Mozambican provinces, during the fourth stage of stoppages called by presidential candidate Venâncio Mondlane, who is contesting the victory of Daniel Chapo, the candidate supported by the Mozambique Liberation Front (Frelimo, in power), who won with 70.67% of the vote, according to an announcement by the National Electoral Commission, results that have yet to be validated by the Constitutional Council.

According to the election monitoring platform, there were also 135 arrests in Mozambique following the protests, most of which were recorded in Zambézia, the centre of the country, with a total of 25 detainees.

According to local media, at least seven people died on Friday night after being run over during protests in Maputo province.

Lusa tried unsuccessfully to contact the police for more information on this case.

Venâncio Mondlane, who came second with 20.32% of the vote, said he did not recognise the results of the October 9 elections, which still have to be validated and proclaimed by the Constitutional Council, which has no deadlines for this and is still analysing the dispute.

Following street protests that brought the country to a standstill on 21, 24 and 25 October, Mondlane once again called on the public for a seven-day general strike from 31 October, with nationwide protests and a demonstration in Maputo on 7 November, which caused chaos in the capital, with deaths reported, several barricades, burning tyres and police firing shots and tear gas throughout the day to disperse them.

Venâncio Mondlane announced that the protests would continue until the electoral truth was restored.

See Also

Lusa

SUBSCRIBE TO GET OUR NEWSLETTERS:

SUBSCRIBE TO GET OUR NEWSLETTERS:

Scroll To Top

We have detected that you are using AdBlock Plus or other adblocking software which is causing you to not be able to view 360 Mozambique in its entirety.

Please add www.360mozambique.com to your adblocker’s whitelist or disable it by refreshing afterwards so you can view the site.